The second Phase of Memorial to Swami Vivekananda
VIVEKANANDA KENDRA, KANYAKUMARI
A Spiritually Oriented Service Mission
With the twin objectives of ‘Man Making and Nation building’, 245 branch centers of Vivekananda Kendra regularly conduct Yoga Varga, SanskarVarga, SwadhyayVarga and Kendra Varga.
Periodically Yoga Satra, Personality Development camps, Youth Motivation camps, Vimarsh- Interactive sessions on different topics for a cross section of society, Swadhyay Competitions for School & College students followed by residential camps, various celebrations are also organized.
Vivekananda Kendra renders service in following fields. Thus, Kendra through its branch centers and service activity centers works at present in 1005 places.
Following is a brief summary of Kendra:
- Total 85 Vivekananda Kendra Vidyalayas – 42 in Arunachal Pradesh, 28in Assam, 11 in Andamans, 2 in Tamil Nadu and one each in Nagaland and Karnataka
- 200 Anandalayas – school supportive activity for improvement of confidence and academics. Conducted in Arunachal Pradesh, Assam Tea Gardens, Odisha, Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat and Maharashtra.
- 195 Balwadis for pre-primary children in Tamil Nadu, Arunachal Pradesh and Odisha.
- One B.Ed. College at Nirjuli in Arunachal Pradesh.
- One School of Nursing in Numalighar, Assam
- Runs hospitals with help of Oil refineries in -Numaligarh, Assam; Bina, Madhya Pradesh; Paradip, Odisha.
- 15 Medical Dispensaries in Tamil Nadu under V.K. Rural Development Program, Mobile Medical Vans in Arunachal Pradesh, Medical services in Pimplad, Nashik &Amlipani, Odisha.
- Regular eye camps, surgery camps
Rural & Janjati Welfare & Skill Development
- Vivekananda Kendra has projects for Rural and Janajati welfare in, Khatkhati, Assam, Southern five districts of Tamilnadu, Nasik, Maharashtra, Deoband (Kendujhar) &Amlipani (Sambalpur), Odisha.
- It also has weaving and tailoring centers, skill development courses in plumbing, motor mechanics, computer literacy etc.; self-help groups and various camps for the leadership development among women and youth, protection of natural resources etc. It is also engaged in reviving the traditional water bodies in Rameshwaram.
Vivekananda Kendra publishes monthly magazines in Hindi, Marathi, English and Tamil languages, periodicals in Gujarati, Malayalam, Assameseand books on Swami Vivekananda and His message, Indian cultural traditions and service as Sadhana etc, in total 17 languages.
Institute for Cultural Studies & Research, Training and Human Excellence
At places like Delhi; Nagdandi in Jammu and Kashmir; Kodungallur, Kerala; Guwahati, Assam; Solapur, Maharashtra; Bhubaneswar, Odisha; Hyderabad, Telangana and at Kanyakumari
Activities at HQs at Vivekanandapuram, Kanyakumari
- Providing good accommodation to the pilgrims in a clean and serene atmosphere. Double / Triple bedded deluxe and A.C. Rooms and A.C. Cottages are available.
- Training Centre and hostel for the dedicated workers who join Kendra as Shikisharthi / Sevavrati / Vanaprasthi
- Maintenance of Vivekananda Rock Memorial
- Providing out-patient medical facilities for the pilgrims and surrounding villages in the Allopathic and Siddha medicines.
- Facilities available inside the Kendra Campus for the benefit of the pilgrims who stay there
- State Bank of India branch with ATM facilities, Post Office, Vegetarian restaurant
- 24 hour water and power supply
- Vachanalaya (Library and reading room)
- Dhyan Mandir (Daily Pratasmaran at 5.15 a.m., Gita Path at 7.30 a.m., Bhajan at 6.30 p.m.)
- Vidyalaya catering to nearly 1500 rural students.
- Vivekananda Mandapam and Samadhi of Sri Eknathji Ranade, the Founder of Kendra, Vivekanandapuram beach and sun-rise point
- Care and maintenance of following Exhibitions
- Arise – Awake
- Ramayana Darshanam – Bharath Mata Sadanam
- Gramodaya Darshan Park
- Gangotri – Swargeeya Eknathji Ranade’s life & message
- Wandering Monk (in Kanyakumari Town)
- Sale of Sri Ramakrishna, Vivekananda literature
- Yoga Shiksha Shibirs for 15 days in May and December and Spiritual Retreats for 7 days in August and February
“Then Only will India awake, when hundreds of large-hearted men and women, giving up all desires of enjoying the luxuries of life, will long and exert themself to their utmost, for the well-being of the millions of their countrymen.”